This blog has been created to document the planning and execution as it is happening, a bike ride across the USA for charity. I will update it on a regular basis to keep people informed and a tool for myself to keep going. Namaste.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

There's a lot of money here.

I am in Saratoga Springs, a town with a good deal of money. It's been a while since I have been enveloped in high fashion and a plethora of fine eating establishments. Finding a place to fit my bulky bike and un-showered, tattered version of myself has me feeling, well sort of happily out of place. It has lead to interesting conversation and sharing of stories that otherwise would be simple passerbys on the street.

Flying solo again has it's ups and downs. Ups is that I converse a bit more with folks. People tend not to approach as often when you are in the company of other folks. I have been sharing my story more now that I am a single trekker once again. Down....well, no poaching cool campsites in the woods lakeside....enough said.

My companions Spela and Charlie, who I met up with south of Jackson, WY and then again in Ohio, quite remarkably I might add, where we rode for another 2 weeks have finally parted ways for the last time. At least the biking part of our journeys. There certainly was a bond created, a family that was formed upon sharing such similar experiences. Their ride concluded in Ithaca, NY. A trip that I was not going to make, but last minute my heart felt such a magnetic pull that i could not not oblige.

I didn't want to leave the Finger Lake region of NY. Not too many places I would say I would or could live in on this journey, but this would be one. Upon the climb out of Ithaca.....phew,I recieved one accolade from a gentlemen who observed me climb this one monster. "That was impressive", he said. Thankfully he didn't wait for a reply as it took all the effort in me to not throw up.

Climbing that hill brought me right back to day 1. Ken and I came to the bottom of this hill which was pretty daunting. Half way up the impossibility of climbing it became pretty evident as we quickly clipped out and struggled to walk our bikes the rest of the way up. It felt pretty good to climb a hill of equal magnitude and actually be able to make it....huffing and puffing the whole way mind you, but conquered I did!

As the beauty of life on the road would have it, and technology, Facebook has helped me insurmountably on this trip. Yet again, due to a simple post of where I was going I made it to Munnsville, NY to stay at my dear friend Missy's grandparents house. Never did I see this one coming....and welcomed with hugs and kisses and pancakes.

I made a vow back in Indianna that i would no longer pay for a hotel to stay in. There are so many beautiful places to sleep outside and amazing people that are willing to share their homes or their backyards at the very least. With a bit of prayer, faith and patience I landed a place to stay last night. I was starting to get a bit anxious when a man rolled up on his 2 wheeled Schwinn and brought me to his friends house where him and his wife lovingly gave me a warm bed, corn and potato salad. And to think I almost gave into fear and would have missed the opportunity to have faith restored once again.

I am going to soak in a hot tub this afternoon, so I am signing off. I anxiously await the arrival of my mom and sister to visit with me this evening. They couldn't pass up the chance to visit knowing that I was so close to my home town.

Til next time.

In peace, light and love,

Meaghan

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it to the treehouse.

    Yr cleveland hosts,
    Ann, Mary, Joy, Phil

    ReplyDelete